This is a pop up bubble post, which means that it will be gradually updated based on a new content.
Islam, Christianity, Judaism and Karaimism (Karaite Judaism) are among the religions which have been constantly present in the territory of modern day Ukraine for almost 1000 years. They played different roles in different times in formation of Ukrainian nation and neither of them can be considered with higher or lesser importance. All of them are equally important and have to be treated with respect.
Islam (mostly Sunni and Shia), a traditional religion of Ukraine, played a crucial role in southern territories of modern day Ukraine for more than 500 years. Nowadays again it enjoys significant revival allover Ukraine and as it has been common for hundreds of years became a key part of Ukrainian culture.
Nowadays there are two main groups of Muslims in Ukraine.
One dominates mostly in Southern and Southeastern Ukraine and represents descendent’s of Muslim communities which have been present in these territories for hundreds of years. Muslims of this community are present in all levels of Ukrainian society from parliament members and oligarchs to farmers, teaches or NGO activists.
Another one represents mostly young intellectuals and students who came to Ukraine either to study or to work. Majority of this group do not hold Ukrainian citizenship and less active in Ukrainian society.
Below I depict some Muslim Communities from different regions of Ukraine:
Northern and Central Ukraine
Ar Rahma Mosque (Lukyanivskaya str. 46, official link, capacity 3000 attendants, 3200 sq.m, minaret hight 27 m)
Video depicting the mosque in 2011:
Al Barakyat Mosque (Bilopilskyi Shlyakh, 4)
Khavidrali Mosque (Sunni, Yaroslavska str. 31). Completed in 1905 but then was completely destroyed during soviet times and rebuild in 2005.
An Nur Mosque (Shia)
Al Barakiat Mosque (Tsygarivskiy Provulok, 8, official web site)
Ar-Rahma (Milost) Mosque (Akademika Pavlova str, 120, 4th floor):
Muslim cultural center Al Manar (Provylok Baikalskyi str, 2, founded in 1994). It includes mosque, library with audio and video materials, conference hall, Sunday school for learning Arabic language and gym.
Prayer house at Kholodnohirska Prison:
As of 2012 there are 8 mosques in Luhansk oblast: Luhansk, Krasnyi Luch, Antratsit, Alchevsk, Sverdlovsk, Stakhanov, Rovenky, Bryanka.
Muslim community center “Tauhid” (Pavlovska str, 28жб, Luhansk, web link ). Opened on May 29th, 2010. It is a two-storied construction with an area of 550 square meters. In a basement floor there is a sports hall and a kitchen. On the ground floor there is a library, classroom, and office.
Other mosques in Luhansk oblast:
As of 2012 there are 8 mosques in Donetsk oblast: Donetsk (2 mosques), Konstantynivka, Makeevka, Mariupil, Snizhne, Torez, Shakhtarsk.
Ahat Cami mosque with Ukrainian Islamic University (opened on September 3rd ,1999, 2 minarets, capacity: 700)
Ukrainian Islamic University, the first Muslim institution of higher education in Ukraine, is located on the first floor of the mosque.
Sultan Suleiman Mosque and Islamic cultural center, completed in October 15, 2007. The design of the mosque was taken from Süleymaniye Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey. Number of domes: 4, minarets: 1:
Konstantynivka, Donetsk oblsat:
Makiyivka, Donetsk oblast:
Community center “Assalam” (M. Kishky str. 63, web link )
“Al Salam” Arabic Cultural Center with Mosque (Molodi str. 17A web link, completed: June 2001):
Mykolayiv oblast (Николаев, Миколаїв)
Mykolayiv mosque and community (54028 Mykolayiv, 3rd Prodolnaya str., 21/1 phone.: +38(097)953-28-34, +38(050)625-42-08, website: http://www.islamnik.com):
Old Tatar Mykolayiv Mosque (completed in 1871). It was completely demolished in mid 20th of 20th century. The only minaret remained and was taken under regional historical protection in 1946. More about it can be found in the post “Магометанская мечеть в г. Николаеве”.
Crimean Autonomous Republic:
Aqmescit (Simferopol) rayon
Kebir-Jami Mosque. Completed 1508, capacity: 200, num. of domes: 1, the architect: Abdurakhman-bek-Ali.
Seyit Stettar Jamisi mosque:
Bulganaq Bardaq (Pozharskoe)
Aqyar (Sevastopol) rayon
Juma Jami mosque:
According to wikipedia.org: the mosque is located on the Palace Square to the east of the northern gate. It is one of the largest mosques in the Crimea and one of the first buildings of the Khan’s palace. The mosque was built in 1532 by Sahib I Giray and bore his name in the 17th century.
The mosque consists of a three-aisle square prayer hall covered with a hipped roof, a narthex and porticos facing east and west. Two symmetrical octagonal minarets rise through the porticos; they are twenty-eight meters high and have conical caps and finials. A domed ablution kiosk of square shape is attached to the northeastern corner of the mosque. It is believed that a madrasah built by Khan Arslan Giray in 1750 used to adjoin the eastern wall. The mosque is entered from a portal facing north. Inside, a balcony is attached to three of the four walls, part of which is sectioned off for the Khan’s lodge. Scholars argue that the mosque was originally roofed with domes of various sizes.
In 1736 the mosque was damaged by fire and later restored during the reign of Khan Selameta Giray.
The Small Khan Mosque (Crimean Tatar: Kiçik Han Cami), Bakhchisarai
The Small Khan Mosque (Crimean Tatar: Kiçik Han Cami) is located in the main building and was designed for members of the Khan’s family and important dignitaries. Construction of the small mosque dates back to the 16th century, and paintings in the mosque are from the 17th and 18th centuries.
In the south wall is the mihrab, the upper part of which is cut seven ornamented belts, symbolizing the seven levels of heaven. Above the mihrab is a stained glass window, which shows the seal of Suleiman (hexagram). On the walls of the small mosque are scratched images of boats with sails, horses and horsemen.
Orta Cuma Cami mosque, Bakhchisarai
Orta Cuma Cami (here on www.wikimapia.org) mosque used to be the main Friday prayer mosque in the city. The earliest mentioning of the mosque comes form 1674 where it was mentioned as a Maale mosque (main mosque of the corresponding district). The mosque was in a bad conditions and its Minaret along with some other small buildings were completely destroyed until end of 2012 when the its reconstruction started. It is financed mostly with the support of Turkish government and numerous donations. Every phase of the process is nicely described on the following web page: http://ciba.com.ua. The reconstruction also involves rebuilding the Minaret from the scratch and some minor buildings previously located next to the mosque.
Initial phase of the project, September – November 2012:
Final phase of the restoration project: March 2013 — now:
Mahmud Efendi jamisi, Bakhchisarai
Kuchuk Yashlav (Viktorovka)
Tav Bardak (Skalyste)
Ulakyly (Hlybokyi Yar)
Kökköz jami (completed 1910)
Karasu Bazar (Bilohorskyi) rayon:
Sary Suv (Novikovo)
Yany Burulcha (Kvitkove)
Kalai (Qalai, Azovske)
Edi K’uyu (Leninski) rayon
Yedi Quyu (Edi K’uyu, Lenine).
Yedi Quyu Merkez Jami mosque:
Dere Salyn (Chistopolye)
Dere Salyn Jamisy:
Baibars mosque (completed 1288). The oldest mosque in Ukraine
Uzbek Madrassa. The Ozbek Han Mosque was built in 1314 and the madrasah, adjacent to the southern wall of the mosque, was built by Inci Hatun, daughter of Kilburun Bey, in 1332. Only the ruins of the madrasah remain today:
Feodosiya (Kefe, Kaffa) rayon
Feodosiya (Kefe, Kaffa),
Mufti Jami (completed in 1637, here)
Islyam Terek (Kirovskyi) rayon
Kezlev (Yevpatoriya) rayon
Khan Jami (Juma Jami). Completed in 1552 by architect Mimar Hodzhi Sinan Ibn Abdulmennan (Koca Mi’mâr Sinân Âğâ)
Mufti-Jami Mosque (completed: 1637, during Soviet times regular services were suspended and started again only in 1998).
Juma Jami Mosque
Qurman (Krasnohvardiyskyi) rayon
Saq (Sakskyi) rayon
Taraq Tash (Dachne)
Kozy (Sonyachna Dolyna)